The Pocahontas County Family Resource Network is a group of people from local community who care about children and families. We work to ensure that parents, grandparents, and caregivers have the resources they need to nurture, protect and educate their children. Laura Young is the executive director. She can be reached at 304-799-6847, 304-704-9740 or 304-456-5568. firstname.lastname@example.org
The Pocahontas County Family Outreach and Education Center located at 821 Third Avenue in Marlinton West Virginia is a “one-stop shop” for information, resource and referral services for children and families. Services are voluntary and available to all interested families. The Family Outreach and Education Center is a warm and welcoming place in the community where any family with children up to age 18 or pregnant families can go, not only in times of need, but as a regular part of day-to-day life. Parenting classes, child development, recreation, emergency assistance and monthly food pantry programs are currently being offered. For more information, please contact the Programs Coordinator at 304-799-6847.
The community plan for Marlinton includes ~
- Community partners are aware of local and state issues that affect families
- Community groups work together to identify and address local issues using relevant information.
- Local Partners work together to maximize community investments.
- Local partners coordinate existing community services to maximize benefits to families.
- Local services and programs are provided in a way that respects and supports families.
- Families have opportunities to impact decisions that affect themLaura L. Young, Coordinator
Pocahontas County Family Resource Network
P.O. Box 3
821 3rd Avenue
Marlinton, West Virginia 24954
Pocahontas Parents As Teachers (PAT) is a free and voluntary parent support program for families with children from prenatal to kindergarten entry. The program is designed to give all children the best possible start in life. PAT promotes parent involvement in language and intellectual growth, as well as motor and social skills. PAT is open to all families with children from prenatal to kindergarten entry in Greenbrier and Pocahontas Counties, as long as there are available openings. We offer a variety of services for our families as well as the communities in which we serve.
- personal home visits
- weekly playgroups every Thursday at McClintic Library in Marlinton from 10:00 am – 11:30 am (canceled if school is canceled due to weather)
- monthly parent groups
- annual developmental screenings for each child
- referrals to network and community resources.
Contact Sonia Ryder, Parent Educator, for any questions at 304-799-4474
The FRN provides monthly Baby Pantry Trainings with funding from Partners in Prevention. We have a different speaker each month on such topics as Safe Sleep for Children, WIC, Birth to Three, etc. The trainings are held at the Family Outreach and Education Center located at 821 Third Avenue Marlinton, on different days of the month usually at 10:30 am. Fliers go out announcing the class. For dates and information: contact Rebecca Campbell at 304-799-6847